According to the National Crime Records Bureau, 3,670 suicide cases occurred due to drug abuse/alcoholic addiction with states like Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Delhi among the UT recording the highest number of drug-related suicides in 2014. Every day, India sees 10 suicides related to drug abuse– and only one of them is from Punjab which means that the problem of drug abuse is not limited to the North Indian state as per the data tabled in Rajya Sabha. A study by the United Nations stated that drug abuse killed more than two lakh people in the world in 2014.
It is a proven fact that the use of alcohol or other drugs has a devastating effect on the health, safety, and wellbeing of individuals, either within or outside a work environment. In a workplace, the harmful effects are potentially extended to the health and safety of colleagues, co-workers, customers and to the workplace in general. The use of alcohol and other drugs, even in small amounts, impairs performance, ability to take decisions, coordination, concentration, and alertness. Employees who abuse drugs or alcohol are three to five times more likely to file workers’ compensation claims. Plus, employee substance abuse can increase your healthcare costs by 300%!
Effects of Substance Abuse at Workplace
1. Mistakes, accidents and injuries. This happens due to impaired judgment, and lack of concentration
2. Damage to workplace equipment, causing subsequent injuries
3. Deterioration in workplace relationships
4. Increased sickness-related absenteeism. Substance abuse can lower your business’s productivity by one-third and cause 2.5 times more absenteeism
5. Late coming issues and unable to manage time
6. Reduced productivity as drug and alcohol use often cause poor concentration, lack of focus, carelessness, and errors in judgment
7. Decrease in staff morale. Just as one bad apple spoils the whole bunch, just one employee can alter the morale of the entire workplace. Coworkers may dislike the substance abuser’s lack of productivity, especially if this person is often late or absent, resulting in the coworkers suffering stress and frustration as they try to cover the neglected duties
8. Increased risk of unpredictable behavior which will lead to clashes in teamwork
Drug testing can serve as a powerful risk management tool that provides far-reaching organizational and societal benefits. In addition to promoting a safer, more productive workplace, it can help to decrease employee turnover and absenteeism, reduce employer risk, and lower workers' compensation incidence rates!
Also, Read Reasons behind employee dishonesty